So you're thinking about becoming self-employed, but you don't know where to begin? Before you kick-off your career as a true Independent Hero, we must first get you officially setup. 

Here's a set-by-step guide to getting you registered with HMRC

First, we need to make sure you have both your gateway number (fancy name for username) and UTR number (Unique Taxpayer Reference) - both which are provided by the HMRC. 

Register online (form CWF1).

If you haven’t sent a return before

Register online and you’ll:

  • get a letter with your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)

  • be enrolled for the Self Assessment online service at the same time

  • You’ll also get a letter within 10 working days (21 days if you’re abroad) with an activation code. You’ll need this when you first log in to your online account. You can replace an activation code if you don’t receive it or you lose it.

If you have sent a tax return before

you’ll need to find your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), which you would have received when you registered previously.

If for whatever reason you might have already lost it, you can dig it out here:

Important things to remember:

You should only have one gateway account for HMRC, this is whether you are dealing with Tax credits, pensions or self-employment, for example, it all comes under one tax account. The gateway number merely is your username to access HMRC services, and it is essential you don’t have multiple accounts. 

Did this answer your question?